Each one of us has our own evolution of life, and each one of us goes through different tests which are unique and challenging. But certain things are common. And we do learn things from each other’s experience. On a spiritual journey, we all have the same destination. – A. R. Rahman
Yeah, the title of this posting is not a typo. I am about to experience a New Year’s Evolution in 2016. Following the footsteps of a very rewarding 2015; I am now armed with a defined purpose and am coming back with more force in the new year. I do not have goals, goals mean there is an end. I will experience an evolution, one that will push my limits beyond comfort.
Last year I had simplified goals that included: Walk 1,000 KMs, read 10 books and write 50 blog posts. While I am very proud of my accomplishment of achieving those goals and the benefits that they gave me, I was still somewhat disappointed in my achievement. I had thought that by simplifying my objectives into 3 simple numbers, I would be more inclined to conquer them. I am a level up kind of guy in that if I see a level that I need to get to; I get to it. Problem is, I tend to loose motivation once I hit that level. So after I had accomplished my goals, I lost motivation in going any further with them. In essence, I got so caught up in the numbers game, I lost the reason why I was playing. I scored my goals, now my game was done.
I’m not saying that what I have done did not give me any benefit. Walking everyday focused my mind in a meditation kind of way. Reading everyday broadened my scope in life and writing this blog has been an absolute game changer. Problem is, when I reached my goals I had left myself with the thought “now what?”. After deeper reflection as to why I felt that way, I realized that I had no sense of purpose. Why was I even doing these things? In order to move forward, in order evolve, I need purpose. Well, in a previous blog posting (What Would My Obituary Say) I realized my purpose.
So, in 2016 my evolution will not be a simple numbers game. I will take a more difficult route of defining it by what it will mean to me. There will be no set finish line, I will live and thrive by my purpose. Here is what my evolution will contain for 2016:
- Get healthier so I can serve my son better as I get older:
- By joining “3rd Degree Training” (3rd Degree Training Moncton) and working out 3 times a week at 6am.
- By purchasing a “real” bike and then bike to and from work when weather permits.
- By dedicating time each day to walking.
- Gain more work knowledge so I can go home each night from work with less anxiety and gain more confidence in my craft:
- By taking a Microsoft certification course with the intention of writing an exam.
- By taking on a “pet” project at work, something I can call my own.
- Grow this blog so that someday when I need to reflect on my past or teach my son a lesson, I will have it on record:
- By writing more than once a week.
- By continually promoting the blog so that the attention it receives gives me more motivation to live in the present and write about it.
These are not things I take lightly and they are not just hopeful dreams and empty aspirations. Evolution does not adhere to numbers or dates, it is morphed and built through dedication and time. I will be very mindful in making sure that I am driven to my purpose with each task involved. It is way too easy to lay out goals that you may perceive as grand, but without a sense of purpose you may never accomplish them. Even if you do accomplish them, you will still be left empty… empty of evolution.
Purpose + Passion = Evolutionary Living